by Leon Hecht, ND
Most people in the U.S. over the age of 40 have measurable levels of lead and mercury in their tissues and often times Cadmium and other heavy metals.
Though leaded gasoline was banned in 1975, lead exposure is persistent in the environment and our tissues. Dangerous Mercury levels are found in water, various fish and other toxic environments.
Pregnant women, children with autism, those with cognitive disorders and neurological illnesses are recommended to minimize exposure.
As you will see below, there is definitely something you can do to decrease your levels of these toxic metals.
Mercury and lead are specific neurotoxins for which there are no safe levels.
As lead is stored in bone for long periods of time, lead exposure during childhood can be released as a middle-aged adult as bone loss occurs. When a woman enters menopause, dramatic bone loss commonly occurs (when not taking hormone replacement therapy) thus releasing lead into the systemic circulation. Her risk of cardiovascular disease increases at this time, in part due to increased lead levels.
Methyl mercury exposure occurs when consuming food contaminated with mercury.
Mercury poisoning primarily impairs neurological development. Impacts on cognitive thinking, memory, attention, language, and fine motor and visual-spatial skills have been seen in children exposed to methylmercury in the womb, even when the mother feels fine.
More subtle impairment can also occur with peripheral vision; “pins and needles” sensations, commonly in the hands, feet, and around the mouth; lack of coordination of movements; impairment of speech, hearing, walking; and muscle weakness.
Elemental mercury poisoning occurs when one is exposed to mercury that is breathed in a vapor, such as a broken thermometer or other sources of liquid mercury.
The effects of such exposures can manifest as tremors; emotional changes (e.g., mood swings, irritability, nervousness, excessive shyness); insomnia; neuromuscular changes (such as weakness, muscle atrophy, twitching); headaches; disturbances in sensations; changes in nerve responses; performance deficits on tests of cognitive function.
At higher exposures there may be kidney effects, respiratory failure and death.
In people infected with Lyme Disease, Bartonella, Babesia, or sensitive to mold biotoxin, it is especially vital to have your body burden of toxic metals checked as this can interfere with your recovery.
When the body is burdened with toxic metals, it has less ability to clear other biotoxins, thereby slowing or obstructing symptom improvement.
By eliminating toxic metals with Chelation therapy, your body is able to perform other high priority metabolic functions.
The active ingredient in the Heavy Metal Chelation process, EDTA, a powerful antioxidant, enters the bloodstream and is able to latch onto heavy metals and transport them out of the body through the urine. Calcium EDTA is stable and safe to administer.